2014年6月4日水曜日

CALL Literary Reaction Journal 3

I. Summary
The short short story I chose to summarize and is The important things in life.This story tell readers to set importance of priorities.


Ⅱ.  Reaction
1 Character
Main character of this short story is a philosophy professor who tell his classmates and readers to how setting priorities is important useing some items.

2 Symbolism

The jar→your life
①the rocks→the important things (ex.your family, your health etc...)
②the pebbles→the other things matter (ex.your job, your house, your car etc...)
③the sand→everything else (ex. except①,②)

3 Theme
I think this theme is how setting priorities is important .Because 16~ line says" “If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.”

4 General opinion
 Life is often compared to a voyage. But in this short short story, life is compared to jar. That is verey interesting.



7 件のコメント:

  1. Hello,Mariko.

    I read your blog.
    I think that this story's example is interesting too and rare.
    And your blog easy to read !

    Thanks you.

    返信削除
  2. Hello Mariko,

    Your analysis is as interesting as the story itself. I like how you laid out the symbolism of various items used by the professor. It's very easy to understand. That being said, I wonder how you feel about those symbols. Do you think they are appropriate to communicate the professors's ideas? What deeper thoughts do you have about the symbolism used?

    返信削除
  3. Hello,Mariko

    Your idea very nice.
    I was able to read hapily.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Hi, long time no see! Thank you for giving your heartful comment.

      削除
  4. Hello Mariko,

    I read same short story.I was particular about me.But your blog of sentence was very plain.Contents came very well.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Oh! You read same story!? Your comment is helpful for me. Thank you!

      削除